The number of freelancing sites is increasing almost on a daily basis because freelancing is now the trending source of income. Virtually everyone is seeking to be a freelancer. The beauty of these freelancing sites is that you can work from anywhere, it is not restricted to gender, tribe or region. That’s why individuals from different continents around the globe are finding their way into the freelancing industry with ease.
However, freelancing sites come with diverse degrees of reach, job types, and payment methods. Also, freelancing sites have their perks and if you are not careful enough, you can end up wasting your effort and time on sites that are questionable.
If you are a beginner in the freelancing industry or you are already a freelancer but finding it hard to get gigs, this article will reveal popular freelancing sites and their advantages. With that you will begin to channel your energy, time and resources to the right freelancing sites.
Note: these freelancing sites are both for beginners and professionals. While you read, compare their similarities and differences. Also, weigh their key features like payment methods, means of communication, and all.
Fiverr is like the gang leader of major freelancing sites. This site is designed, just like other freelancing sites, to offer individuals the platform to get started with freelancing. It accommodates professionals and beginners with different fields of interest, like writers, programmers, graphic artists, sales personnel, and many more. Fiverr has overtime, gained popularity even though it charges a minimal fee, it still makes it easy to get freelance jobs.
In Fiverr, you do not necessarily require extensive technical skills to market your services. It also gives an individual a desired exposure need to boost one’s career. In addition, this site boosts of top-notch security whereby your personal data and information is secured, and does not share your data to a third party.
- You can easily market your services with Fiverr with just a token.
- It is quite easy to use. That is, you do not necessarily have to be that tech savvy.
- Fiverr upholds the value of privacy, both that of the sellers and buyers. Hence, it uses state-of-the-art anti-fraud and data security measures.
- In addition, its security measures allow users communicate and exchange files through a secured messaging platform.
- Also, it does not grant unauthorized access to users personal information.
- Sometimes, it takes time to land your first gig as a beginner.
- It is difficult for Nigerians to get in. However, there are Nigerians on the site.
- Fiverr is inconsistent in policy making, that is, they change policies constantly. So you have to stay on the site always to know when something goes south.
This is one amongst the cloud-deployed global freelancing sites. It is popularly the largest job seekers arena till date. It is an ideal platform for freelancers to market their services while offering them highly-competitive rates. Upwork helps link sellers to buyers, gives you the opportunity to secure good deals, and makes sure you get to work with legitimate employers. Signing up for this platform is free, hence you can test-run the site before committing.
- There is effective communication between buyers and sellers. With the in-app messaging tool, you can give feedback via text or video as well as share files.
- It also promotes collaboration between employers and freelancers.
- This platform allows pre-funding of freelancer’s account pending when a job is done. It also supports credit card payments and other electronic payment mediums. You are assured of prompt payment.
- Customer service in not established in the company.
- Commission charges are high. Upwork takes 20% of transaction cost.
- Employers in Upwork are fund of charging low while demanding for quality jobs. That’s not a fair bargain on the end of freelancers.
This is also one of the freelancing sites built with the aim of linking buyers and sellers in a single location. It is also a crowdsourcing platform, and freelancers are allowed to market their services freely. Freelancer also supports creatives, and professionals. Anyone looking for freelancing sites can use this platform to bid on projects like data entry, writing, marketing, software development, accounting, designs, and more.
- It has a flexible pricing system whereby there are monthly and annual subscriptions packages.
- This platform uses a good payment medium that protects all users of the site.
- Also, it guarantees freelancer’s payment for every job done.
- The platform also helps you maintain a transparent working system where your employer gets to monitor your working hours, share data, and check on your progress from time to time.
- In addition, there is an effective connection of buyers and sellers. It likewise allows you to bid for projects quickly and easily.
- There are lots of spam work in this site, and clients do not have any rating experience.
- Jobs are too cheap on this site.
- This site takes commission fee before starting a project. Sometimes clients do not pay a freelancer for a project but the site takes the commission for the job.
Amongst other freelancing sites, PeoplePerHour allows people around the work to find jobs that best suits their qualifications. You could be a professional or a beginner, but be rest assured that they will equip you with basic freelancing tools. It has numerous features including proposal viewing, account management, in-app messaging, and invoicing. It also has a fair pricing plan that is suitable for both professionals and beginners. The pricing plans come as monthly, one-time, and quote based payments, which can suit individual freelancers.
- You don’t have to bother about getting paid on time. It offers quality financial protection, as the site urges buyers to make down payments before you start working on a project. This, in turn, protects buyers, and ensures a complete job from the part of the freelancer.
- It also gives you the option of searching for buyers within your region.
- This site also has a good pricing plan for all and sundry.
- Free plan is limited. That is, freelancers can only send 15 proposals to clients while on the free plan. After that, you will have to sign up for a paid plan.
- The competition to get picked by buyers is very challenging.
This is one of the user-friendly freelancing sites that is explicitly designed for finance experts, software developers, or designers who have good performance in their various fields and very fluent in English language. Amongst other freelancing sites, this site helps professionals connect with businesses or buyers looking for top-notch talent and skill. It is suitable for anyone, whether you need a part-time job, full-time job, or hourly rate jobs. It is also ideal for anyone who is used to working on critical projects.
- Integration is very easy. In other words, you can easily integrate your work environments. It looks for the compatibility of freelancers with work environments.
- It also allows you to have a good rapport with work teams. Here, you can adapt to certain project management and collaboration tools that buyers use.
- Also, you can easily find projects to work on. This good part is on the end of the platform whereby they are committed to finding buyers freelancer within the space of three weeks.
- With the trial period, you are given enough time to learn the pros and cons of the site. This trial period lasts for two weeks, which helps you ascertain if you can cope with certain projects.
- It has limited categories coverage.
- Charges are high.
- Client fee is about $500
This is basically one of the major design freelancing sites that help organizations turn their ideas into reality using crowdsourcing. As the name implies, it is also one of the design based freelancing sites that allows designers submit proposals easily and stand a chance to be recognized by buyers around the world. This site hosts more than 600,000 freelance designers. However, the site charges a buyer $79 to post a design contest, giving an opportunity for over 50 designs from different designers. Designs can be shortlisted, while buyers can give feedback to designers.
- Prompt response to job search.
- You have the opportunity of marketing your designs, whereby you get to submit multiple designs to different prospective buyers or submissions.
- There is good communication between buyer and seller.
- Also, it guarantees easy and fast freelance payments.
- There is no free trial.
- It is sometimes problematic for the sensitive projects.
Amongst other freelancing sites, this is a whole different platform popularly know for its same-day service delivery. It allows both individuals and companies run errands more quickly and efficiently. A freelancer can use this platform to search for different kinds of platform ranging from housekeeping, yard work, grocery deliver, and even furniture assembly.
- Healthy communication between clients and workers. Clients get to describe the kind of services they need, then you as the freelancer ensures an error-free job.
- It allows you secure deals and conduct all transactions online regardless of what you are using.
- You can also easily view jobs online and receive payment securely upon the completion of a task.
- The platform also allows you market your skills to a prospective client. All you need to do is sign up and provide useful professional information.
- There are no virtual tasks, and you must be available in the city where the tasks are being requested.
- Screening process with background checks is tasking..
- There are lots of complaints about the company’s customer service.
- With this opportunity you’re trading time for money, which doesn’t allow you to increase your earnings.
- The site has low-paying gigs.
Unlike other freelancing sites that accommodate other fields, this one specifically connects and links writers, editors, translators, and proofreaders. While on Writer Access, you need to include your work portfolios for prospective clients to see if you fit their project description.
- This site offers quality content creation tools including research, analytics, keyword optimization, Getty images, and easy order forms.
- The platform allows you to join a team of highly-skilled professionals where each member gets a star rating using past work experiences, customer reviews, online test results, and industry certifications as basis. High ratings give you more chances of getting hired.
- Also, this site has numerous visual, audio, and audio-visual content that are of great help to both creatives and marketers. They come in the form of podcasts, books, and webinars, among many others. The great thing about these resources is that they can be downloaded absolutely for free.
- There is no middle man to handle communication is things go wrong.
- No on-staff editor.
- Sometimes, due to their bargain price, you might not get the best-quality writer, except you are willing to pay more.
This is yet another freelancing site that has one unique thing about it. Unlike other Freelancing sites, DesignHill is like an online community and also a workspace for designers and companies. As a freelance designer in this platform, you can work with your skills in different categories, such as website and app development, social media and brand identity, clothing and apparel, and many more. The platform accommodates a good number of companies looking for freelance designers. So you can leverage on that and search for projects as often as possible.
- There are multiple job opportunities. As a professional, you can choose from many design jobs like one-to-one designs, custom design services, design contests, logo store’s, and small design tasks.
- Their services also come in different comprehensive package: fast tract, standard, platinum, and executive. Each package guarantees 100% money-back.
- You can bid on good projects and have the opportunity to showcase your designs to a big audience.
- Many industries rely on this platform for their design needs, which gives you a better chance of securing a good deal.
- They offer free consultation.
However, the obvious disadvantage of using Designhill is that the number of responses you receive is typically lower since they have fewer designers to choose from. Sometimes, you can receive about 80 responses or more from each contest. The number of services offered by Designhill can also be overwhelming if you don’t know exactly what you’re after.
How to Benefit From Freelancing sites
For a beginner in there freelancing industry, there are certain things you must consider before diving in so as to avoid some mistakes most freelancers make.
First, you have to understand how freelancing sites operate. Check if the one you are opting for has the benefits needs for your career. Also, you can opt into different freelancing sites. Do not limit yourself if you have the capacity. Market yourself as a beginner. A professional may not see the need for marketing again, but you as a newbie needs to market yourself to get buyers.
Make sure you get a positive review for any job you complete in any of the freelancing sites. That will help boost your visibility and growth.
In summary, go through this article properly, and make your choice. Know what you want to offer, how to offer them and sign up for different freelancing sites in order to sell those skills and earn extra.